Notes From Our San Diego Trip

There's more about our trip to San Diego.

Audio Books

Again I found a selection of audio books at the library. This time, since Dianne was along for the ride, I let her select from my selections. She chose Double Cross by James Patterson. It was a cops/murder/mystery story, and one of the most gory stories that I have ever encountered. I personally saw little redeeming value. I wonder why we had to hear the whole thing. I can wholeheartedly recommend skipping this on entirely.

I chose the next book. The choice was in part, decided by the length. It finished with about 30 minutes left in our trip. This was On The Wealth of Nations by P.J. O'Rourke. It was, if you will, a review of The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith. The wealth of Nations was one of the first works that explained that a nations wealth was created by its' citizens, and government can only get in the way.

O'Rourke is a conservative and a satirist, and discusses Smith's book in an almost snarky tone. After a while, I began to understand that satire aside, this was a good review of Smith's book. I enjoyed it, but I am somewhat hesitant to recommend it because my twisted sense of humor tends to appreciate weird things that you might not.

Your Tax Dollars at Work

These are the roadside signs that seem to have sprung up sort of like wild flowers after a spring rain. They pretend to announce some wondrous construction project that will better all of our lives. I saw less evidence of any work being done. Perhaps it's because my vision is lacking. I suspect that the government spent more on signs than it did on any project. I think it mostly proclaims the intention of the President to seek a second term.

Other signs advertised Hemp Con, a trade show promoting "medical" marijuana. Too bad we had to miss it. This was just in case you wondered why California is as screwed up as it is.

Traffic

I had to re-learn my driving survival skills anew. Compared to San Diego, Reno is still a sleepy little cow town. I occasionally slowed down to 80, or so, but not too often.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parmesan - Olive No-knead Bread