Can you Believe, Medicare

Do you know what they say about the post office, about the DMV as examples of governmental incompetance? Well, yesterday I had my experience with the Social Security Administration. And I know, I know. I must share the blame because I put off action much longer than prudent. But, I believe that the effectiveness of the Social Security office might be like that of the DMV times the Post Office, sort of a mathematical product.

Since I am nearing that magical age when I am eligible for Medicare I learned that I must enroll in the Medicare program or possibly face reduced insurance payments.

I trundled down to the local SSA office armed with a couple of unread magazines to pass the time I had to wait. I soon learned that merely carrying two magazines was grossly inadequate. My two magazines were consumed in about half the time allotted. The next hour was then spent people watching. An enlightening experience it was. I saw creatures that once were relegated to the carnival side shows.

After about two hours of watching other numbers called before mine, my number was finally called.

I learned that after sitting for two hours, they would not accept my application without a certified birth certificate. They don't trust a passport. Well, I might not either. After all it is an official government document. Likewise, they don't trust a Nevada drivers license. I had to get a new Social Security card to get my drivers license. I think it was part of the Homeland Security nonsense. I then learned that I could wait for another two hours, or get an appointment about three weeks in the future, but still not be able to complete my enrollment without my birth certificate. Since we were scheduled to be traveling, there was a high likelihood that an appointment wold not work. I asked if there was some form I could take to begin the process. The answer was, no, that it was computerized. I replied that I had a computer. I was then informed that this part was not set up for us amateurs.

I realized that I would not win against the bureaucracy and that I must produce a birth certificate. I spent the better part of a day combing records and papers looking for that blasted birth certificate, all to no avail. I know that at one time I knew were I kept the offending document. But, try as I might I could not locate it. I'm sure I placed it in a safe location.

So, I plan to drop in at the records office in Wisconsin to retrieve the document, carry it to the nearest Social Security office and then never see the document again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parmesan - Olive No-knead Bread