Medical Events

I think my health issues have been resolved.

For the past three months or so I have been experiencing stomach aches, nausea and lack of appetite. I weigh about 30 lbs less than I did six months ago. We had suspected that somehow it might be connected with the drugs I had been taking because of my coronary problems. The cardiologist noticed abnormally high liver enzymes in a blood test. He adjusted and then eliminated an anti-cholesterol drug. It didn't seem to help. We then considered other drugs I had been taking for a number of years. This also proved fruitless. He referred me to a gastroenterologist who ordered more blood tests. Eventually, after a procession of tests that seemed to confirm nothing, he ordered a liver biopsy. The liver biopsy was a procedure that uses ultrasound to guide a needle that was inserted between my ribs to remove a small sample of my lever for examination. I considered the procedure to be essentially a fishing expedition.

Following the biopsy I returned home and I experienced a great deal of discomfort. I think it was a combination of pain from the biopsy wound and the ongoing stomach aches. I laid around the rest of the day. Toward early evening I began to feel chilled and had developed a fever. I was shaking uncontrollably. I took Tylenol to control the fever but it had no effect. Dianne drove me to the emergency room. By the time we arrived at the ER the fever had broken. The ER doc ordered a battery of blood tests. She then suggested a CT scan. The CT scan indicated a blockage in the bile duct where it enters the intestine.

The following day I felt fine during the day. Then in the early evening I again developed a fever and felt like I was freezing. Back to the ER we went. I had already beeen scheduled for an outpatient procedure and they decided to admit me to the hospital over night. Intervenous morphine wiped out the fever almost instantaneously. I could feel the cloud descend over me.

About mid-day the next day I underwent the procedure "ERCP" (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography). A tube having a camera, among other things, was inserted into my throat all the way down to where the bile duct enters the intestine. The doctor found that the blockage was a stone he described as large as his fingernail. He removed the blockage and I swas returned to the room to recover from the anesthetics. By 4:30 pm I was on my way home. Dianne was very relieved. By the next day I was able to eat and drink normally. I have experienced no discomfort since. The doctor stated that if an upcoming blood test showed as he expected there would be no need for additional appointments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parmesan - Olive No-knead Bread