More cruisin'

Our ship, Royal Caribbean’s “Mariner of the Seas” was the largest cruise ship in the world. It may have been surpassed in size by another ship, but I am not sure. It carries about 3500 passengers. I understand that the number of passengers is limited by the total capacity of the lifeboats. It really is a spectacular ship.

Next port call was St. Thomas. The tour we selected was sailing on a catamaran to a session of snorkeling. The scenery was superb. We shared this intimate moment with about 75 of our closest friends. Sailing out to the island, “Buck” Island, I think, took about 45 minutes. We arrived at our destination to find four other boats already tied up. These were some of the other scheduled tours that were on our menu of choices. The other tours included SCUBA diving and “BOB”, a self propelled under water machine that a person can ride without needing SCUBA training and certification.

Snorkeling was pleasant, but I did not consider it superb. Once we were back on board the crew began pouring rum punch. We ended up getting soused by the time we were delivered back to the dock. Total time was about three hours.

I returned to the ship for lunch and the rest of the afternoon was spent shopping.

That evening I felt feverish, chilled, achy and miserable. The sun had been very hot that day. I thought that I had become dehydrated from the sun exposure, the snorkeling and the rum. I was prepared to swear off rum forever again. As it turned out, it appears that I had a case of the flu. I did not take part in the next, and final port call, St Maarten.

Dianne was selected to join the Assistant Captain for dinner. It may have been for good behavior. She was treated like royalty, and was very impressed.

From St Maarten was about two days steaming back to port Canaveral. On the last day I managed to climb the Rock Climbing wall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parmesan - Olive No-knead Bread